Facebook creating its own mobile phone
2012 May 28 22:27:46 | 1962 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3047 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6746 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7533 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- Facebook 'in talks to buy' Israeli navigation app Waze | 2013 May 12 10:52:30
- Facebook - South African user-base drop by 1 million | 2013 April 10 07:40:07
- 'Facebook Rapist' - jail term cut to 30yrs | 2013 April 05 18:29:17
- Facebook introduces new product 'Home' | 2013 April 04 21:25:47
- Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to pay $1.1 billion tax for 2012 | 2013 March 29 07:07:51
- Facebook friend demands sex, threatens to kill Zim woman | 2013 January 31 17:06:03 | 13240 views
- Google street-view captures couple having sex in an alleyway | 2013 March 08 20:25:11 | 12779 views
- Men have natural aversion to sex with best friends' wives - Study | 2013 March 24 09:36:45 | 8146 views
- Married men who do house work 'get less sex' - Research | 2013 January 30 18:48:04 | 8078 views
- Teenager arrested after Facebook confession | 2013 January 04 09:36:21 | 7220 views
The social network has hired former Apple software and hardware engineers, and one who worked on the iPad, the New York Times reported. Employees and engineers approached by recruiters say the company hopes to release its own smartphone next year.
Facebook chief technology officer Bret Taylor is said to be leading the project, and the new recruits will expand a group working with Taiwanese phone manufacturer HTC on a project codenamed Buffy â€“ a reference to the vampire slayer TV series.
News of the Buffy phone first emerged in November. It is expected, like Amazon's Kindle reader, to run on a customised version of Android, according to Digitimes.
Facebook could be looking to stake Google, which dominates the budget end of the smartphone market with its Android software. Google last week won approval for a $12.5bn takeover of Motorola Mobility, which could see the software company designing its own handsets.
Zuckerberg is worried that if he does not create a mobile phone soon Facebook will simply become an app on other mobile platforms, a Facebook employee said.
Facebook has been assembling the elements needed to create a phone. Besides its alliance with HTC, it is to launch its own app store, where phone versions of Pinterest, Spotify and other websites with links to Facebook will be spotlighted, rated and available for download.
Facebook already has a camera app and is about to own another, once its $1bn purchase of the 18-month-old photo sharing site Instagram is complete. It also has an instant messaging service, like Apple's iMessage and BlackBerry's BBM. The company was reported on Friday to be in talks to acquire a web browser. Gadget site Pocket-lint said Facebook had set its sights on the Norwegian firm Opera Software, which has developed internet browsers for mobile phones and desktop computers.
"They are not doing a phone to enter the devices market," said Carolina Milanesi at research firm Gartner. "If they do a phone they will have to embed Facebook and Instagram at the core of the device, learning from every click the users does."
Motorola and HTC have already made phones with a Facebook button. The HTC ChaCha, a BlackBerry style handset, lets users share music, photos and updates by pressing the keyboard's F button.
A phone would allow Zuckerberg more control over customers and make for less dependence on Google and Apple.
While Microsoft has integrated Facebook features, Apple has been less welcoming. A Facebook spokeswoman referred to a statement on the company's mobile strategy: "We're working across the entire mobile industry; with operators, hardware manufacturers, OS providers, and application developers."
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 192 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 229 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 298 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 22 | 385 Views
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 402 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 481 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 910 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 974 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 786 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 546 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 806 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 931 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1078 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1724 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2211 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1009 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1400 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2870 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2268 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4001 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2374 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2432 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4317 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1664 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1562 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4293 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5261 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2233 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2208 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2120 Views