Bafana Bafana fixed matches ahead of 2010 World Cup
2012 February 06 21:19:49 | 817 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2708 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2715 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6601 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7384 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5952 views
- Zimbabwe Davis Cup team qualify for play-offs | 2013 May 18 17:57:50
- Warriors seeded in Cosafa draw | 2013 May 04 08:07:35
- World Bank urges Zimbabwe to deploy funds properly | 2013 April 17 08:30:12
- Warriors to play Bafana Bafana in Independence celebrations | 2013 February 17 16:50:53
- Bob Super Cup to be played over 2 legs | 2013 February 03 09:58:23
- Nigeria Football Federation thanks TB Joshua for Cote D'lvoire win | 2013 February 05 09:06:50 | 11120 views
- Bosso star impregnates six women? | 2013 April 26 14:49:16 | 10929 views
- Bosso - DeMbare Match update - Live | 2013 April 21 12:52:08 | 10457 views
- Musona suspended by FC Augsburg | 2013 January 12 07:47:57 | 10037 views
- Peter Ndlovu updates fans on his health status | 2013 February 19 10:59:18 | 9469 views
Lindile "Ace" Kika, who is the SAFA head of national teams, has denied any personal involvement in wrong-doing that were allegedly fixed by referees appointed by a shadowy sports marketing group Football4U.
The blame for arranging the matches was shifted to Kika, by former SAFA chief executive Leslie Sedibe, who told Sunday Times he had delegated this to Kika.
Kika countered this on Sunday by saying he never had the authority to make such decisions.
"I am surprised Leslie says he delegated the organisation of these friendly games to me," said Kika.
The match-fixing allegations centre on Bafana matches in May 2010 against Thailand, Bulgaria, Colombia and Guatemala.
Football4U was controlled by Wilson Raj Perumal, a Singaporean, who has since been jailed in Finland for fixing games in that country.
FIFA described his conviction a breakthrough in the effort against match-fixing and illegal betting.
"These guys (Perumal and his organisation) approached us about a referees exchange programme," said Kika. "And to be honest, I thought it was a good opportunity for our local referees to interact with other internationals. I did not speak to them, but Leslie did. They never met with me."
The matches were ahead of the World Cup opener against Mexico at Soccer City on June 11 and were refereed by African officials organised by Football4U.
Kika said Steve Goddard, a former SAFA head of referees, and Adele Carelse, who has since taken over that role, did background checks on the three referees for the Bafana matches.
"[The referees'] names were on the FIFA list and that was confirmation for us that they could be trusted. However, their performances were below par and so we changed for the last game against Denmark," said Kika.
The Thailand (4-0 win for Bafana) and Colombia (2-1 Bafana win) matches were refereed by a Kenyan, while the one against Bulgaria was officiated by a Togolese referee.
The fourth match, in which Bafana beat Guatemala 5-0, was handled by a referee from Niger who would have been on duty in the final friendly against Denmark, but was changed in the tunnel before the team ran out as Safa officials had become suspicious.
"During the Colombia game we became suspicious. We believed the penalty (which handed Bafana the 2-1 win) given was a bit soft and unfair to our opponents," said Kika.
Kika revealed that Football4U, which is under investigation by FIFA and Interpol, tried after the World Cup to get involved in the organisation of the South Africa under-23 team Olympic qualifiers.
"We did not let that happen," said Kika.
Perumal has also been linked to a fake Togo team that played in Bahrain and last week the Zimbabwe Football Association identified him in its 160-page report into alleged match-fixing on their national team tours to Asia from 2007-09.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 13 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 42 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 109 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 79 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 115 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 76 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 20 | 87 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 132 Views
Agencies | 2013 May 20 | 108 Views
Sunday World | 2013 May 20 | 157 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 563 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 440 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 604 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 564 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 969 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1040 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 736 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 2106 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1371 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 60 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1576 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1861 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2273 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2023 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3695 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1972 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2771 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2281 Views