Pensioner (78) breaks Vic Falls bungee jumping record
2012 June 20 12:11:28 | 1673 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2595 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2657 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6551 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7301 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5908 views
- Victoria Falls Mountain Bike Race Challenge 2013 set for June | 2013 May 17 09:46:58
- MDC-T MP convicted | 2013 May 14 10:06:27
- Mugabe arrives in Bulawayo for Nkomo's memorial service | 2013 May 12 00:41:23
- Obert Mpofu dismisses Vice-President ambition | 2013 April 25 23:23:27
- Police release names of accident victims | 2013 April 17 08:04:56
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 83816 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45667 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44291 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30061 views
Mr David Roberts' jump defied the myth that the popular adrenalin raising 111-metre free-fall into the gorges of the mighty Zambezi River below the bridge is for the youthful "adrenalin junkies".
Other notable elderly persons to jump from the bridge include Chief Mukuni from Livingstone in Zambia who was about 67 years old when he jumped, the Minister of Constitutional and Parliamentary Affairs, Advocate Eric Matinenga (60) and the Zambian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Tourism, Given Lumumba (49).
After the jump, Mr Roberts, who had been an avid rock climber in his younger days until a climbing accident resulted in knee fusion surgery, said he had had a fantastic experience.
"This was a fantastic experience," the ecstatic jumper said.
Mr Roberts made his jump even more remarkable by having the cord attached around his waist thereby plunging backwards into the rainbow above the Zambezi River with the mighty waterfall rumbling by his side.
Shearwater Adventure public relations manager Mr Clement Mukwasi said the jump by Mr Roberts showed that the activity cut across race, age and cultural divide.
He said it also confirmed that it was a safe activity that could be done by any person of any age.
"This is an all-age product unlike the myth that it is not meant for the old. It is also a reassertion of how safe the product is and all one needs is the heart for it," he said.
As well as bungee jumps, Victoria Falls Bridge Company also offers the Bridge Swing, Bridge Slide (Zipline) and the Historic Bridge Tour â€” the story of the Victoria Falls Bridge â€” full of amusing anecdotes about the incredible feat of engineering that resulted in this historical Victorian masterpiece.
Additionally, the Victoria Falls Bridge CafÃ© extends an invitation to dive into a lazy lunch with the best views around.
The Victoria Falls Bridge CafÃ© is the facility in the area with direct views over the Victoria Falls from which to watch all the action on the bridge.
The bridge, which links the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe and Livingstone in Zambia, also turns 107 years this year amid reports that it has become the second most visited tourist attraction behind the mighty Victoria Falls rainforest.
The bridge took 14 months to construct and was completed in 1905.
Victoria Falls Bridge was part of Cecil John Rhodes' dream of a railway line linking Cape Town with Cairo, which was fuelled by investment and speculation about the potential of Central Africa.
It was built at a cost of Â£72 000, the highest amount spent on a bridge in the world at the time.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 15 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 401 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 409 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 4447 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2018 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 3160 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 916 Views
Patrice Lumumba | 2013 May 18 | 1953 Views
Thulani Nkala | 2013 May 18 | 891 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1769 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1286 Views
Nathaniel Manheru | 2013 May 18 | 1015 Views
Bowden B.C. Mbanje and Darlington N. Mahuku | 2013 May 18 | 999 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1040 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1608 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1448 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1149 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1006 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1710 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 908 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 18 | 1202 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1420 Views
AP | 2013 May 18 | 1734 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2141 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1537 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 1788 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1738 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3323 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1858 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2635 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2223 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 1351 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 12 | 3296 Views