Man jailed for 2 decades for murdering rival suitor
2012 June 04 08:43:55 | 1798 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3047 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6746 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7533 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- Star FM DJ and accomplices charged with murder | 2013 May 23 00:27:09
- Star FM DJ's murder case, two more people implicated | 2013 May 21 23:04:24
- Security guard murdered while on duty, culprits escape with $4,000 | 2013 April 16 06:31:50
- Teen kills and robs grandfather so he could buy shoes, cellphone & tattoos | 2013 March 31 22:14:49
- Man kills his mother after she refused to give him money for narcotics | 2013 March 31 13:00:10
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85526 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46694 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45068 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30708 views
Taurai Takavada Mungwami (26) who was jointly charged with three others namely, Oliver Mbizi (21), Brighton Govere (23) and Ephraim Maphosa (26) had pleaded not guilty to murder charges.
Justice Cheda, sitting with assessors Messrs Jameson Lex Dhlula and Wellington Takawira Matemba, found Mungwami guilty of murder with constructive intent.
The other three, Mbizi, Govere and Maphosa were acquitted after both the State and defence counsel managed to prove that Mungwami, who had a knife on the fateful day, was responsible for the stabbing of the now deceased, Rangarirai Makore, who was 26 years old at the time of his death.
Mr Wilfred Mehlo of Mabukwa and partners represented Mungwami while Mr Innocent Hore of Hore and Partners represented Mbizi. Mr Liberty Mashanyare of Masawi and Partners represented Govere while Mr Herbert Tafa of Tafa and Partners law firm represented Maphosa.
All represented the accused pro deo.
For the State, Mr Samuel Pedzisai said on 24 March 2010, the now deceased, Makore, was drinking beer at Mpambadzire Nightclub together with his four friends.
Mr Pedzisai said while enjoying beer in the night club, Mungwami, who was among the patrons, then confronted the now deceased whom he accused of snatching his girlfriend, one Winnet Chirasha, who was a bar lady at that time.
The court heard that a misunderstanding between Mungwami and the now deceased then ensued resulting in the now deceasedâ€™s friends joining in.
Mr Pedzisai said Mbizi, Govere and Maphosa then joined in on the side of Mungwami resulting in two rival groups emerging in the argument.
The court heard that the two groups then started fighting forcing the night club to close.
Mr Pedzisai said while outside, the rival groups started throwing empty bottles and stones at each other forcing the now deceasedâ€™s group to retreat.
He said as the now deceased and company fled, Mungwami and his accomplices followed suit.
Mr Pedzisai said Mungwami, who was armed with a knife, then aimed his charges at the now deceased Makore.
He said Mungwami caught up with the now deceased and stabbed him once on the back with a knife.
Makore collapsed and died on the spot.
The matter was reported to the police leading to the arrest of Mungwami and his three accomplices.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 179 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 216 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 268 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 22 | 362 Views
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 395 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 474 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 902 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 967 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 781 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 538 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 802 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 927 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1075 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1722 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2206 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1007 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1398 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2868 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2265 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3996 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2372 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2428 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4310 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1661 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1562 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4292 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5260 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2233 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2208 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2120 Views