Mugabe agrees to meet chiefs over draft Constitution
17 February 2013 | 3251 Views
- Zimbabweans to mentor Nepal on constitution making | 14 February 2015
- Constitutional Court reserves ruling on HIV-positive fired nurse | 14 February 2015
- International consultant calls for alignment of laws with new constitution - tinkering with weak constitution will not make it s | 03 December 2014
- Retirement due Zim Clerk of Parliament tries to extend his term of office | 26 October 2014
- Govt ministries in hot soup for sabotaging realignment of laws | 13 October 2014
- Amnesty International: Zimbabwe breaches its own Constitution | 02 October 2014
PRESIDENT Mugabe will soon meet representatives of Zimbabwe chiefs to discuss their concerns over some clauses on land in the draft Constitution.
The chiefs want the clauses to be rectified ahead of the referendum on the new Constitution.
The referendum has been set for 16 March this year.
The traditional leaders expressed their reservations towards the clauses during the just-ended Annual Chiefs' conference held in Masvingo.
The chiefs have however said they were committed to assisting in drumming up support for a "Yes" vote during the referendum.
President Mugabe pledged to meet the chiefs when he officially opened the conference on Friday last week.
"We should all support the new constitution as we go for the referendum and the draft constitution was a compromise document, which can be amended by a party that wins the elections.
"We are happy that our chiefs have also pledged their support for a Yes vote on the new constitution though they have some reservations on some issues and I will soon be meeting their representatives so that we can resolve the issues," President Mugabe said.
Zimbabwe Chiefs' Council president Chief Fortune Charumbira yesterday confirmed the scheduled meeting.
Chief Charumbira, however, refused to disclose the exact clauses they are not comfortable with in the draft constitution.
"We will meet President Mugabe very soon over some clauses on land in the draft constitution that we are not happy with and we are happy that President Mugabe has agreed to meet us very soon. I cannot disclose the clauses that we are not happy with at the moment, we want to meet the President first," he said.
Chief Charumbira said except for those few clauses, the chiefs were fully behind the draft constitution and would campaign for a Yes vote ahead of the referendum.
Most Read Stories
- Married Zim woman stuck to Nigerian man after illicit s*x | 92471 views
- VP Mnangagwa finally succeeds Robert Mugabe - Report | 33782 views
- Mnangagwa bodyguard found dead after heated meeting with the VP | 32597 views
- Nigerian prostitutes to declare three days of free sex if.... | 30639 views
- Mugabe collapse, 27 guards suspended | 27682 views
- Mugabe falling meme goes viral | 25509 views
Staff Reporter | 05 March 2015 | 163 Views
Staff Reporter | 05 March 2015 | 203 Views
Ndimyake Mwakalyele | 05 March 2015 | 282 Views
Mafu Sithabile | 05 March 2015 | 1677 Views
Lulu Brenda Harris | 05 March 2015 | 2174 Views
Senzeni Ncube | 05 March 2015 | 1806 Views
Professor Jonathan Moyo | 05 March 2015 | 1061 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 483 Views
Wangu-Mine | 05 March 2015 | 3915 Views
Dr Tapiwa Shumba | 05 March 2015 | 632 Views
Staff Reporter | 05 March 2015 | 750 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 841 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 1249 Views
Luke Tamborinyoka | 05 March 2015 | 1109 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 1368 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 602 Views
Obert Chaurura Gutu | 05 March 2015 | 504 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 708 Views
Staff Reporter | 05 March 2015 | 758 Views
Tholakele Zhou | 05 March 2015 | 1226 Views
Chris Chinamhora | 05 March 2015 | 1039 Views
Staff reporter | 05 March 2015 | 1696 Views
Tholakele Zhou | 05 March 2015 | 2101 Views
Tholakele Zhou | 05 March 2015 | 1998 Views
T Musiyamwa | 05 March 2015 | 3702 Views
Byo Resident | 05 March 2015 | 3296 Views
Tholakele Zhou | 05 March 2015 | 1043 Views
Tholakele Zhou | 05 March 2015 | 971 Views
Staff Reporter | 05 March 2015 | 1613 Views
Mandlenkosi Chinula | 05 March 2015 | 2146 Views
Senzeni Ncube | 05 March 2015 | 766 Views
Staff reporter | 03 March 2015 | 1751 Views
Staff Reporter | 03 March 2015 | 1269 Views
Mafu Sithabile | 02 March 2015 | 3960 Views
Liberty Dube | 27 February 2015 | 4682 Views
TMZ | 21 February 2015 | 6861 Views
Staff reporter | 21 February 2015 | 2124 Views
Staff reporter | 20 February 2015 | 11178 Views