Hookers stage a mini-demonstration as condoms run out
2013 February 07 21:40:40 | 3575 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2921 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2808 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6704 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7485 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6070 views
- Goblin threatens to organise demonstration | 2013 May 17 14:03:20
- Why still so few use condoms | 2013 May 07 14:22:33
- Female condoms gaining popularity | 2013 May 05 12:35:52
- Mthwakazi youths to appear at Tredgold court for contravening Posa | 2013 April 09 10:29:33
- MDC-T supporters demonstrate over imposition of candidates | 2013 April 08 09:51:11
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85027 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46462 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44884 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30544 views
Simbarashe Mahaso and other senior officers from Batanai HIV and Aids Service Organisation confirmed the shortages and said they were not only limited to Masvingo Town but the situation was worse at Chivi Growth Point where all outlets had run out of condoms. Mahaso however, said he did not the cause of the shortages.
Ladies of the night staged a mini demonstration at Majange last Friday demanding to see the proprietor of Ujiji Night Club over the issue. They threatened to close down the club the next day if supply was not restored. One of them said many are being forced to indulge without protection.
The major suppliers of condoms in Zimbabwe are Population Services International and the Family Planning Association of Zimbabwe. Both could not be reached for comment.
"Imagine it is two weeks now and there are no condoms. We have depended on clinics but at night the clinics are closed and they are also running out of condoms. These people are negligent because they are not ordering these condoms," said a fuming lady of the night in an interview.
"One night my boyfriend and I walked from Majange to Yeukai, to Aphiri and Sisk and we could not get condoms. I had no option, I needed the money and we had to do it without condoms. These people are putting our lives at risk," said the lady.
One official from Bhaso said at Chivi there were no condoms completely at the growth point and people had to get them from Bhaso. Kakono who is a barman at Yeukai said some community based HIV and Aids workers were bringing some relief by making some supplies although these were not enough.
Mahaso said condom shortages were usually experienced during the festive period or at holidays. He said he did not understand why there were shortages but could not rule out distribution lapses. He said the danger of shortage shortages was the spread of HIV and Aids, sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies in girls.
However, according to Economics, commodity shortages are a result of increase in demand or shartage in supply. In simple English shortages prevail when there is more demand for a product than what could be supplied. This would then imply that there is more sexual activity in Masvingo and supply factors have not yet adapted to the new trend.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 245 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 175 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 275 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 686 Views
Mongezi Mpofu | 2013 May 21 | 1124 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 795 Views
Mafu Sithabile | 2013 May 21 | 1101 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 592 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 527 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1533 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4066 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4035 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 1510 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2922 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 2152 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1781 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2309 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 3567 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2570 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 5462 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1744 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2433 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1976 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2518 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 896 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3422 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 4347 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1943 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2037 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2049 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2746 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2253 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4155 Views