Arthur Mutambara 'compromised by Zanu-PF' says Biti
2012 August 30 08:20:22 | 3537 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2598 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2662 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6551 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7307 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5909 views
- 'Chinese must come to Africa on African terms' says Mutambara | 2013 April 19 05:30:54
- Mutambara's political woes continues | 2013 April 09 06:02:12
- Mutambara casts his vote | 2013 March 16 08:20:39
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 83882 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45701 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44332 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30090 views
Biti, who is secretary general of the MDC faction led by Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, has publicly weighed in on Mutambara's bid to reprise the leadership of the MDC party now led by Industry Minister Welshman Ncube.
"Welshman Ncube was elected by congressâ€¦ Mutambara did not even challenge him," Biti told the Voice of America's Studio 7.
"I saw a video where Mutambara was congratulating Ncube. I'm very concerned about that issue as an individual because this generation can't do things that Zanu-PF were doing. Even Robert Mugabe strives to have legitimacy.
"Now you can't say when you have not even participated in an election you call yourself the president of the party, that doesn't happen."
Ncube was elected MDC president at a congress in Bulawayo in January 2011, with Mutambara in attendance but not on the ballot.
The robotics professor later claimed Ncube had breached party procedures to ascend to the leadership. He challenged his election at the High Court and lost, but has since appealed to the Supreme Court.
Through the appeal, Mutambara has used the court system to prolong his stay as deputy premier, helped in no small measure by President Robert Mugabe who has used him as a political stick with which to beat Ncube.
South African President Jacob Zuma, mediating between Zimbabwe's coalition leaders ahead of elections expected next year, last week decided Mutambara lacked legitimacy to be consulted. The decision was later supported by regional leaders at a summit held in Maputo, Mozambique.
But Mutambara came out guns blazing, accusing Zuma - whose daughter is married to Ncube's son - of anointing the law professor a principal in the coalition government, simply because he was his in-law.
Biti said: "That is rubbish. Zuma was not at the congress of MDC-M in January of last year. He wasn't there. He wasn't the one who chose Ncube. So that is absolutely rubbish.
"I think the energy with which Zanu-PF is defending Mutambara proves beyond reasonable doubt that Mutambara has been compromised by Zanu-PF. Once you are now being defended by the likes of Jonathan Moyo you must know that you are finished."
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 75 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 124 Views
online | 2013 May 18 | 952 Views
Gideon Gono | 2013 May 18 | 547 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1194 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 447 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1182 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1202 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1646 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 770 Views
Supersport | 2013 May 18 | 1206 Views
AFP | 2013 May 18 | 1776 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 886 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1018 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 5725 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2708 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 4192 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1212 Views
Patrice Lumumba | 2013 May 18 | 2371 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2317 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1660 Views
Nathaniel Manheru | 2013 May 18 | 1318 Views
Bowden B.C. Mbanje and Darlington N. Mahuku | 2013 May 18 | 1330 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1358 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 382 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1601 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 1891 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1794 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3391 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1888 Views