Confusion over Mutambara's role in government
2012 August 23 09:23:25 | 3432 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2841 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2783 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6680 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7461 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6029 views
- Zanu-PF courts Mutambara | 2013 May 20 14:39:19
- We need to emphasise on the intra-Africa trade says Mutambara | 2013 May 19 19:54:12
- 'Chinese must come to Africa on African terms' says Mutambara | 2013 April 19 05:30:54
- Mutambara's political woes continues | 2013 April 09 06:02:12
- Mutambara, Ncube long-running legal wrangle continues | 2013 March 26 11:45:37
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84757 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46307 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44768 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30460 views
Mutambara was snubbed by the regional leaders who met at their annual summit in Maputo last weekend, after they resolved that they would only deal with leaders of political parties. But conflicting reports in the local press have confused the issue even more.
The state controlled Herald newspaper quotes Presidential spokesperson George Charamba as saying the SADC decision was being 'misinterpreted.' He said Mutambara "remains a Principal and Deputy Prime Minister in the inclusive Government", despite the SADC resolution.
Charamba said Ncube's recognition by SADC as leader of the MDC "would not upgrade him to the status of Principal when it comes to Zimbabwe's Government matters". He added that Mutambara would "continue with his brief, including in the ongoing Constitution-making process."
But according to the independent NewsDay newspaper, Robert Mugabe and Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai agreed on Monday "to consult MDC leader Welshman Ncube as a Principal in the constitution-making process".
NewsDay quoted Tsvangirai's spokesman Luke Tamborinyoka as saying Ncube would be considered a Principal in the constitution-making process, pending the Supreme Court appeals by Mutambara. The appeal is to try and reverse two High Court decisions that made Ncube President of the MDC faction.
If the NewsDay version is correct, backing Ncube would be a u-turn by Mugabe, who has supported Mutambara since he lost leadership of the MDC faction at their January 2011 congress.
Reached for comment, Mutambara told SW Radio Africa that he was in meetings and we should call him next week.
Political analyst Professor John Makumbe told SW Radio Africa the conflicting press reports show that there is "chaos in Mugabe's house" and the Zanu-PF leader is himself to blame for the mess.
"After the congress that elected Ncube as president of the MDC faction Mugabe should have appointed him as deputy Prime Minister, in keeping with the GPA. Now Mutambara is still the DPM but doesn't have a political party," Makumbe explained.
The professor said he suspects that the Supreme Court may be dragging its feet deliberately to delay resolving Mutambara's legal case in order to keep him in government, as Mugabe wants.
Makumbe said he agrees with other observers who have pointed to the latest development as further evidence of the chaos engulfing the coalition government.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 589 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 1078 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 1415 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2650 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 905 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1257 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1026 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1288 Views
Tsungai Chipato | 2013 May 21 | 655 Views
Mutumwa Mawere | 2013 May 21 | 1550 Views
Abel Zhakata in MUTARE | 2013 May 21 | 1151 Views
Daily News | 2013 May 21 | 1855 Views
Sports Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1627 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1225 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1702 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 693 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1009 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 948 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 892 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 911 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 616 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1756 Views
Staff Reportyer | 2013 May 21 | 1702 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 943 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1618 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 3248 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1717 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1917 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2020 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2640 Views