Tsvangirai still yet to decide on running mate
2012 August 10 14:24:19 | 1836 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3068 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2856 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6763 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7579 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6116 views
- MDC-T has zero tolerance to corruption say Tsvangirai | 2013 May 22 17:41:13
- 'I hate people who say let's have a coalition with Morgan Tsvangirai' says Ncube | 2013 May 20 02:33:54
- 'We will continue to look for external support' says Tsvangirai | 2013 May 18 00:22:21
- 'Yesterday people can't provide answers to today's challenges,' says Tsvangirai | 2013 May 17 16:12:40
- Tsvangirai dances as his wife Elizabeth looks | 2013 May 17 16:03:30
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85761 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46848 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45199 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30788 views
Movement for Democratic Change led by Morgan Tsvangirai's national chairman Lovemore Moyo says he does not support the provision for presidential candidates to select running mates in future elections, which is contained in the draft constitution, arguing it is divisive. Moyo also said Tsvangirai is still yet to select his running mate.
Moyo, who is also the Speaker of the House of Assembly, said this during a dinner organised by the Matabeleland Constitutional Reform Agenda on Wednesday, risking a fallout in the MDC-T over the new constitution.
The Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai-led MDC-T has already publicly endorsed the draft produced by Parliamentâ€™s Constitution Select Committee.
"I do not know where they took it (idea of running mates) from, but I hear we were trying to accommodate two vice-presidents," Moyo said.
"I think we all know the criteria used and Zanu-PF said they did not want to be seen abandoning the Unity Accord.
"The thing will cause many political parties problems.
"We are putting our presidents in a difficult position. The constitution says the president chooses a running mate they want. It will lead to divisions in the party.
"It means we go back to our congress and realign ourselves."
MDC-T secretary-general Tendai Biti was at the weekend quoted saying Tsvangirai had already picked Deputy Prime Minister Thokozani Khupe as one of his running mates.
He said the other running mate would be chosen through an open election.
But Moyo, who is supposed to be the second running mate if MDC-T follows its hierarchy, disagreed with Biti, saying Tsvangirai was yet to make a decision on the matter.
"If you ask me as an individual, I would not fight for the retention of that clause," he said.
"Some people might say it is an advantage for Matabeleland, but there is no advantage in being a deputy.
"If you are a deputy, you are waiting to be assigned, so do not fool yourself. We have never discussed as a party the issue of running mates."
Zanu-PF is reportedly also not happy with the provision on running mates. MDC-T spokesperson Douglas Mwonzora reiterated that the party had endorsed the draft constitution in its present form.
"The party, through the National Standing Committee, National Executive and National Council, agreed to support the document because it represented the views of the people and was negotiated in good faith," he said.
The Welshman Ncube-led MDC has endorsed the draft, saying it was a compromise.
Vince Musewe | 2013 May 23 | 178 Views
Sapa | 2013 May 23 | 394 Views
Sapa | 2013 May 23 | 544 Views
AFP | 2013 May 23 | 1090 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2161 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2293 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2347 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1958 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1993 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 941 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2580 Views
Gordon Rayner and Steven Swinford | 2013 May 23 | 1378 Views
Liberty Dube | 2013 May 23 | 2196 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1744 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2603 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2149 Views
Daily Graphic | 2013 May 23 | 1762 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1849 Views
Sunday World | 2013 May 23 | 2774 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2026 Views
Robert Mugabe | 2013 May 23 | 1437 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1685 Views
Court reporter | 2013 May 23 | 1429 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 23 | 2973 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 23 | 449 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1719 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4517 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5606 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2338 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2251 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2132 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2997 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2305 Views