Zapu national headquarters closed down
2012 August 09 23:26:28 | 2078 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2607 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2669 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6559 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7323 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5916 views
- ZAPU affirms itself in Jotsholo | 2013 May 04 09:22:07
- Message from Zapu Europe chairperson | 2013 April 17 09:15:06
- ZAPU To hold massive Africa Day Celebrations in the UK | 2013 March 25 19:53:17
- Friends Of Zapu to launch in South Africa | 2013 March 15 07:52:57
- Leaders should put people above self and selfish interest | 2013 February 16 21:42:56
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 83917 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45732 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44363 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30125 views
A Messenger of Court on Tuesday closed Zapu national headquarters in Bulawayo over a $15 000 debt owed to a local businessman.
The offices - at Number 18 corner Jason Moyo Street and Connaught Avenue owned by Edson Chemhere Mabudapasi - were still closed yesterday.
Bulawayo High Court judge Justice Nicholas Ndou two weeks ago ordered the eviction of the opposition party from the offices it was renting and auctioning of its property to recover the debt.
Justice Ndouâ€™s judgment came after Mabudapasi approached the court seeking a writ of execution against Zapu following a ruling ordering the party to vacate the premises on June 28.
Zapu secretary for legal affairs Stephen Nkiwane refused to comment on the matter saying he was â€œnot in the moodâ€.
â€œI will not say anything,â€ he said. â€œIt might sound rude, but I am not in the mood. I will refer you to (lawyer) Mr (Ndabezinhle) Mazibuko of Calderwood Bryce Hendrie and Partners.â€
Efforts to get a comment from Mazibuko proved fruitless as he was reportedly out of the office.
But Zapu spokesperson Mark Mbaiwa confirmed the development.
â€œThey closed the offices yesterday (Tuesday),â€ he said. â€œWe have decided to move to the Bulawayo provincial offices for the time being while we negotiate with the owner of the building.
â€œWe have paid part of the money, but itâ€™s just that we donâ€™t know what instructions the lawyers have.
â€œThey (lawyers) say they have been instructed to evict us while we negotiate with the owner of the house.
â€œI paid part of the money in the lawyersâ€™ account yesterday (Tuesday).â€
Mbaiwa said the party was trying to pay the whole amount while it negotiated with the owner of the property.
â€œThere are people who are helping us pay the debt,â€ he said. â€œWe are also trying to dispose of the cattle that we got from our supporters as donations, but the problem is that we needed to feed them first because they were very thin.â€
Mabudapasi issued Zapu with summons on March 26 through his lawyer Mazibuko, but Zapu did not file any opposing papers.
The matter was set down for hearing on June 8 and again Zapu did not turn up, prompting Mabudapasi to apply for a default judgment, which was granted by Justice Ndou on June 28.
However, Zapu defied the order and remained on the premises.
The Dumiso Dabengwa-led Zapu moved into the offices on April 1 last year.
But between July last year and February this year, the party failed to pay a cent towards its rentals, accumulating a US$9 350 debt in the process.
From March this year, after the lease agreement had been cancelled, Zapu has been incurring holding-over damages at a rate of $36,67 daily which could take the total debt past US$15 000, excluding legal fees.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 256 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 18 | 393 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 739 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 515 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 631 Views
online | 2013 May 18 | 1928 Views
Gideon Gono | 2013 May 18 | 896 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1783 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 649 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1743 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1579 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2352 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1055 Views
Supersport | 2013 May 18 | 1595 Views
AFP | 2013 May 18 | 2203 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1152 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1240 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 6249 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 3002 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 4595 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1345 Views
Patrice Lumumba | 2013 May 18 | 2576 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2616 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1821 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 625 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1644 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 1949 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1825 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3436 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1905 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2673 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2245 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 1364 Views