Why MDC-T supports the draft Constitution
2012 August 07 14:18:00 | 2759 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3041 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6743 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7531 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- New Zim constitution can usher in new culture of human rights | 2013 May 22 20:18:17
- New Constitution now law of the land; let's finish it Zimbabwe | 2013 May 22 16:59:12
- Mugabe has signed constitution into law | 2013 May 22 16:03:58
- Mugabe to sign new Constitution into law today | 2013 May 22 06:25:08
- MDC-T launches its ART | 2013 May 21 20:26:19
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85498 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46682 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45063 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30701 views
1. Every person, organ and institution of the state is under the constitution.
2. There will be an executive President with a limited term of office of a maximum of two 5 year terms. President exercises his power together with Cabinet.
3. There will be dual citizenship for Zimbabweans by birth while those born in Zimbabwe and previously called aliens are now going to be allowed to vote as Zimbabwean citizens.
4. There shall be equal representation of women in all elected institutions and commissions. To ensure gender equality the constitution provides for party lists to be headed by female candidates.
5. All security services are under the authority of the constitution, parliament, President and cabinet. They are not supposed to be partisan and should not campaign for or prejudice any political party.
6. They are supposed to respect human rights and fundamental freedoms.
7. Provides for free and fair elections free from violence.
8. These elections will be held in the last month of the Presidential term.
9. Everything to do with elections ranging from,
- voter registration
- voter education
- maintenance of the voters roll
- accreditation of observers and monitors
- the announcement of election results, should be done by or under the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission.
10. The Constitution provides for an Independent National Prosecuting Authority to be in charge of all national prosecution; as opposed to an Attorney general being in charge of both legal advice to the government as well as prosecuting on behalf of the state.
11. The constitution provides for devolution of power to the provinces. Specifically it provides that a governor will be appointed from a party with the majority of seats in that province.
12. The constitution removes the power of the Minister of Local Government to remove councillors and mayors. Instead councillors and mayors will only be removed in the same way as members of Parliament are removed.
13. All Commanders of the security services as well as all heads of parastatals and state owned institutions shall have a limited term of office. And no serving member of the security services shall serve in a civilian entity.
14. In declaring war or deploying Zimbabwean troops, the President has to act with the approval of Parliament.
15. The constitution provides for institutions supporting democracy. These commissions will be appointed with the involvement of parliament. These are: â€¢ Zimbabwe Electoral Commission
- Zimbabwe Human Rights Commission
- Zimbabwe Gender Commission
- Zimbabwe Media Commission
- National Peace and Reconciliation Commission
16. There is a Land Commission which will carry out land audits as well as restricting the amount of land that an individual can hold. The constitution also protects the property rights including the rights by people whose land has not yet been acquired.
17. There is an expanded bill of rights which limits the death penalty.
18. Provides political and labour rights including right to collective bargaining and to collective job action for all employees including public sector employees. Political rights include the right to join, form or participate in the lawful activities of a political party of oneâ€™s choice.
19. Allows equal access by all contesting parties to the public media during election campaigns.
20. Traditional leaders are supposed to be apolitical and not to act in any partisan manner. They are not allowed to frustrate the lawful activities of political parties. Chiefs will be appointed in terms of the customs and traditions of their communities.
21. The constitution provides that Parliament will have oversight in respect of all expenditure by government and government related institutions.
22. All indigenous languages are official and equal
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 264 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 330 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 722 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 769 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 635 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 429 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 706 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 849 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1010 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1632 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2075 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 939 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1306 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2772 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2206 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3865 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2301 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2344 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4215 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1612 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3194 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3463 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2389 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 5356 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1534 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4271 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5234 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2221 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2202 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2118 Views