Gospel musician gets 210 hours of community service for pointing a firearm at Kombi driver
2012 August 02 08:28:14 | 2200 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3047 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6746 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7533 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- Tsvangirai's court bid hits brick wall | 2013 May 18 06:55:58
- Man shames married lover in a packed court | 2013 April 13 09:57:32
- Man goes beserk at chief's traditional court, jailed 30 days | 2013 April 11 09:15:52
- War veterans acquitted | 2013 March 31 10:19:16
- Rights boss freed by Zimbabwe High court | 2013 March 15 09:00:44
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85515 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46689 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45063 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30705 views
GOSPEL musician-cum-bouncer Amos Mahendere was yesterday sentenced to 210 hours of community service for pointing a firearm at a commuter omnibus driver. Mahendere (36) was also found guilty of assaulting the driver and fined $100.
His co-accused Washington Tapfumaneyi (27) of Unit G and Moses Chonse (26) of Unit N in Chitungwiza were fined $100 each for assaulting the same kombi driver. They were given up to Friday next week to pay the fine or face two months in prison.
Chitungwiza magistrate Ms Rumbidzai Mugwagwa found Mahendere guilty after a trial that started in May. She slapped him with an eight-month jail term, but set aside two months on condition he performs 210 hours of unpaid work.
Mahendere will start the six-week community service on Saturday at Makoni District Development Fund. In coming up with the sentence, Ms Mugwagwa said she had considered that pointing a firearm at someone could easily lead to shooting.
"Mahendere was not present when the brawl started. He came from nowhere and pointed the gun at the complainant. Such behaviour is disturbing. What if he had pulled the trigger?" she said.
Defence lawyer Mr Vusani Bangidza said what Mahendere did was just a sign of masculinity and did not mean to harm anyone. He said pointing a gun at someone attracted an option of a fine as stated in Section 27 of the Firearms Act. But prosecutor Mr Lovert Muringwa proved that the act attracted a penalty not exceeding level seven or a custodial sentence of not more than two years. He said an option of a fine would trivialise the offence.
Mahendere used the butt of his gun to assault Ignatius Nyika (30) of Unit N, Chitungwiza after pointing a gun at him. Charges against Mahendere and his colleagues arose on May 13 this year in Unit G Extension when Chonse and Tapfumaneyi boarded Nyika's kombi.
A misunderstanding with the conductor arose over the volume of the radio. The two disembarked from the kombi together with the conductor. They exchanged harsh words, prompting Nyika to disembark from the bus to restrain his conductor.
When Chonse and Tapfumaneyi saw Nyika coming, they thought he intended to fight them. Tapfumaneyi held Nyika's hands, while Chonse punched him in the face.
Mahendere arrived at the scene armed with a pistol and withdrew it before pointing the weapon at Nyika's chest. He then hit him with the gun's butt three times on the face. After the assault, Mahendere dragged Nyika into the kombi and removed keys from the ignition, before punching him in the face.
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 22 | 111 Views
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 349 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 423 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 842 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 904 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 737 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 498 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 764 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 894 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1044 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1692 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2152 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 980 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1368 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2839 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2239 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3961 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2346 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2392 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4280 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1642 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3257 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3539 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2447 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1550 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4283 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5249 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2227 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2206 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2120 Views