Zimbabwe to abolish death penalty only for women
2012 July 20 07:26:42 | 1781 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3047 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6743 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7533 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- MDC-T MP questioned over death | 2013 April 17 08:15:30
- Man beats 1-yr-old son to death for soiling himself | 2013 February 23 22:54:30
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85504 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46682 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45063 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30702 views
Also, some legal experts and human rights groups worry the move may be used to protect senior Zanu-PF officials accused of gross rights abuses in the previous elections.
The alleged violations have seen President Robert Mugabe and some 200 members of his inner circle being hit with travel and financial sanctions by the U.S. and the European Union.
Rights groups pushing for the total removal of the death penalty, including Amnesty International say the charter, which will be adopted if approved in a referendum latter this year - falls short.
Among other notable aspects, the new charter adopts the American and Malawian system where a presidential candidate has a running mate who automatically takes over if the head of state is incapacitated or unable to continue.
It also restores the right to vote for so-called aliens or Zimbabweans with one foreign parent, who for long have been disenfranchised and denied passports.
Parliamentary and Constitutional Affairs Minister Eric Matinenga told VOA that he has written to the cabinet secretary informing him that the draft is complete and ready for submission to unity government principals and the cabinet.
The charter, to replace the current constitution that has been amended 19 times, will also be presented before an All-Stakeholders Conference in the next few weeks before going for a national referendum.
Justice Minister Patrick Chinamasa confirmed negotiators from the three unity parties appended their signatures to the draft as a sign of approval, adding they now wait to hear from the principals.
The three co-chairpersons of the parliamentary panel writing the new charter also met with other committee members in Harare Thursday to officially hand over the document.
Co-chairman Munyaradzi Paul Mangwana of Zanu PF told VOA the process is now complete and his party will call for a special politburo session next week to discuss the constitutional draft.
Douglas Mwonzora, Copac co-chair representing the MDC formation of Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai said the document was final, adding no one in the community wants to go back to political bickering over the content.
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 316 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 386 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 804 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 854 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 698 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 473 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 744 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 880 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1035 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1668 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2131 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 965 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1349 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2814 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2233 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3918 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2324 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2369 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4257 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1630 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3232 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3513 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2422 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 5422 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1543 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4277 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5241 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2225 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2204 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2119 Views