Mugabe desperate for sanctions removal
2012 July 17 12:49:49 | 1292 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3019 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2835 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6731 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7516 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6094 views
- 'I won't rule by decree,' says Mugabe | 2013 May 22 06:22:40
- Tsvangirai to reverse Mugabe's controversial indigenisation drive | 2013 May 20 06:23:12
- 'Sanctions were a blessing in disguise,' says Gono | 2013 May 19 09:05:21
- 'Mugabe acts contrary to whats agreed in Monday meetings' | 2013 May 18 18:08:29
- Mugabe admits losing grip | 2013 May 14 10:05:58
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85370 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46615 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44999 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30661 views
Addressing the plenary of the 19th Ordinary Session of the AU Assembly here, President Mugabe hailed the assistance rendered by Sadc, saying the AU should pick the gauntlet.
"My country is still labouring under the burden of illegal sanctions; although Sadc has done its best, we still have Europe imposing sanctions on us, America continuing to impose sanctions on us," he said.
"We would like to go for elections without sanctions, but there is no indication that there is a willingness on their part to get rid of these sanctions.
"May we get a word from this meeting that these sanctions are unjustified, these sanctions continue to impact on our people, these sanctions must go!"
Zimbabwe is expected to hold harmonised elections before June next year to signal the end of the inclusive Government that has outlived its set time frame.
Zanu-PF says the elections should be held as a matter of urgency since they are now overdue, while the MDC formations want them delayed.
The MDC formations argue that the harmonised elections should be held under a new constitution. Copac has missed a deadline to produce the new constitution by almost two years and hopes have since faded that the country will have it soon.
Zanu-PF has said that the elections could still be held under the current Constitution that hasbeen used to hold successful elections since independence in 1980.
The Non-Aligned Movement, Comesa and Sadc have since called for the lifting of sanctions imposed on Zimbabwe by Western sanctions. The sanctions were imposed at the instigation of Britain which was angered by Zimbabwe's land reform programme that ensured equitable distribution of land. Meanwhile, the British are said to be lobbying for the extension of the sanctions, with Labour MP Peter Hain expected to move a motion in the British parliament today calling for the European Union to maintain the sanctions on Zimbabwe.
Mr Hain, who served as a junior minister under the Labour government of Mr Tony Blair, appeared irked by moves by the EU to suspend the sanctions and his motion will be seconded by another Labour MP, Ms Kate Hoey. The British MPs also want the sanctions to be extended to more Zimbabwean businesspeople and Chinese businessman Mr Simon Pa.
Last week, the EU agreed in principle to lift the embargo, but only if certain conditions were met. The conditions include the publication of a new constitution, the adoption of human rights laws, the holding of a successful referendum and the conduct of free elections.
Zanu-PF maintains that anything short of unconditional lifting of sanctions is not acceptable to Zimbabwe as the sanctions are illegal in the first place.
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 166 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1514 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 1315 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2592 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1592 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1588 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3015 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 988 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2223 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2479 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1651 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3930 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1071 Views
Ben Chiganze | 2013 May 22 | 1706 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1644 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1083 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1968 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1077 Views
Prosper Ndlovu | 2013 May 22 | 1218 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1502 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2116 Views
Charles Laiton | 2013 May 22 | 1907 Views
Jairos Saunyama | 2013 May 22 | 1195 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 2862 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1347 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4018 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 4928 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2129 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2150 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2086 Views