MDC-T MP to be charged for contempt of Parliament
2012 July 04 10:22:49 | 903 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2870 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2790 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6689 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7467 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6048 views
- Zim's first black parliament speaker speaks out | 2013 April 17 04:15:03
- 'Current term of Parliament cannot be extended,' says Judge President | 2013 April 09 08:23:15
- Mugabe to announce a firm date that he will dissolve parliament today | 2013 April 04 12:40:05
- Parliament tenure clarified | 2013 March 26 09:03:07
- MPs intensify fight to stay in parliament | 2013 February 07 09:13:23
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84909 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46396 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44834 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30512 views
Minister Mangoma refused to appear before a Senate Thematic Committee on Peace and Security on three occasions to explain issues regarding entities falling under his ministry.
Committee chairperson and Rushinga Senator Damien Mumvuri (Zanu-PF) confirmed the development, saying legislators had been riled by the Minister's "arrogant conduct".
"We have raised a complaint against Minister Mangoma after we invited him three times but he failed to turn up," he said.
"We have since engaged Parliament's secretariat to initiate the process required in terms of the Standing Orders."
Sen Mumvuri said the committee will invoke provisions of the Standing Orders that would compel Minister Mangoma to appear before it for the last time.
If he fails, they will approach President of Senate Cde Edna Madzongwe to set up a Privileges Committee that would conduct a hearing.
Sen Mumvuri said their Committee, which is due to meet today, (Wednesday) would approach Senate President, Cde Edna Madzongwe during a sitting and lay out their grounds to show that a prima facie case against the Minister exists.
"We are meeting tomorrow as a committee to finalise the processes," he said.
"Summons would be issued through the Clerk of Parliament compelling the Minister to attend and if he fails, in terms of Standing Orders, we have no option but to use the necessary legal statutes available."
Section 160 (a) of Senate Standing Orders provides as follows: "For the purpose of exercising and performing its functions, a committee shall have the power to summon any person to appear before it to give evidence on oath or affirmation."
Schedule Two of the Privileges, Immunities and Powers of Parliament Act makes it an offence to "disobey any summons issued in terms of the Standing Orders".
The committee wanted Minister Mangoma to explain what measures his Ministry was putting in place to ensure minimum electri-city load shedding for winter wheat farmers.
Minister Mangoma was also expected to explain the challenges around the Chisumbanje ethanol project.
Parliament has in the past charged former Chimanimani MP, Mr Roy Bennett with contempt after he assaulted Justice and Legal Affairs Minister Cde Patrick Chinamasa in early 2000 during a debate in the House.
Shabani Mashava Mine State appointed administrator, Mr Afaras Gwaradzimba, is facing contempt charges after a Portfolio Committee on Mines and Energy raised a complaint.
The complaint stemmed from what Mr Gwaradzimba was quoted as saying in a privately owned local daily which the committee said demeaned them.
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 649 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2396 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2493 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 877 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1735 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 1281 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1112 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1637 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 2638 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2245 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4526 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1378 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1947 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1585 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2040 Views
Mutumwa Mawere | 2013 May 21 | 2187 Views
Abel Zhakata in MUTARE | 2013 May 21 | 1484 Views
Daily News | 2013 May 21 | 2526 Views
Sports Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2154 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1678 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2344 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1019 Views
New Ziana. | 2013 May 21 | 1384 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1268 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 485 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2753 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 3822 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1824 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1974 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2025 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2690 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2234 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4113 Views