BCC reduces water shedding by 24 hours
2013 February 06 00:40:33 | 3495 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2896 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2800 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6696 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7480 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6060 views
- Cowdray Park residents battle ongoing water shortages | 2013 May 19 09:52:38
- MDC-T promise to address the perennial water supply problems in Matabeleland | 2013 May 19 09:04:20
- Tariff Commission drags BCC to court | 2013 May 17 05:44:55
- Chaos as BCC evicts over 50 tenants from flats | 2013 May 16 10:06:56
- Bulawayo water woes worsen | 2013 May 15 13:16:32
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84978 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46436 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44864 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30528 views
The council's future water supplies and water action committee met yesterday and resolved to reduce water shedding by one day in response to inflows into the city's supply dams.
Ward Five councillor Dr John Ferguson who chaired the committee's meeting yesterday, said this was good news for the city.
"We met as a committee today and we have some good news for the residents. Our chairperson Councillor Gideon Mangena was away and I chaired the meeting. We agreed to extend water supplies to residents to four days per week instead of three, starting from Monday," said Dr Ferguson.
He said the committee noted that the city's supply dams recorded some inflows and there were indications that the rains were likely to continue for sometime.
Dr Ferguson could, however, not be drawn to disclose the figures of the dam levels saying the recommendations of the committee would be tabled at the full council meeting today.
"There is a little bit of security but the matter will be discussed fully during the full council meeting tomorrow. We also discussed the issue of Mtshabezi Dam water and we expect the pipeline to be fully functional by the beginning of May when we expect to pump 17 000 cubic metres per day," said Dr Ferguson.
He said council was also seeking funding to duplicate the Insiza pipeline.
The councillor also said there was also a need to speed up the National Matabeleland Zambezi Water Project (NMZWP).
The city's Director of Engineering Services, Engineer Simela Dube, confirmed the meeting, but declined to disclose the details.
"Yes there was a meeting but I cannot disclose the details of what was discussed. I will present the report before the full council meeting tomorrow," said Eng Dube.
Bulawayo Mayor Clr Thaba Moyo said he will be briefed on the outcome of the meeting today.
"I am aware that the meeting took place but I did not attend. I hope a lot of detail will be discussed tomorrow," said Clr Moyo.
Bulawayo is pumping just a fraction of the 17 000 cubic metres that it is supposed to draw daily from Mtshabezi Dam because generators cannot pump continuously.
The city started pumping water from the dam mid last month following the completion of the Mtshabezi pipeline project.
The 17 000 cubic metres a day is expected to reduce water shedding by 24 hours.
The city council introduced water shedding in all suburbs in July last year in a bid to conserve the limited supplies in the city's supply dams.
Bulawayo is operating with a deficit of about three supply dams. A dam is supposed to be constructed every 10 years to cater for an increasing population.
The NMZWP, viewed as the permanent solution to Bulawayo's perennial water crisis, was mooted way back in 1912 but the implementation of the first phase of the project which is the construction of the Gwayi/Shangani Dam only started a few weeks ago.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 82 Views
Mongezi Mpofu | 2013 May 21 | 417 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 432 Views
Mafu Sithabile | 2013 May 21 | 635 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 371 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 332 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1302 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3623 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3631 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 1384 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2626 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 1922 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1562 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2123 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 3298 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2476 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 5188 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1640 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2306 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1876 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2387 Views
Mutumwa Mawere | 2013 May 21 | 2565 Views
Abel Zhakata in MUTARE | 2013 May 21 | 1695 Views
Daily News | 2013 May 21 | 2836 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 789 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3227 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 4146 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1902 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2009 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2039 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2722 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2245 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4139 Views