Zapu will not join hands with Zanu-PF says Dabengwa
2012 August 08 16:06:08 | 2577 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2710 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2716 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6602 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7385 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5953 views
- Zanu-PF claims to have resolved Masvingo disputes | 2013 May 19 08:09:12
- Zanu-PF team not on a witch hunt, claims Khaya Moyo | 2013 May 17 06:49:47
- Zanu-PF's Kembo Mohadi hospitalised | 2013 May 16 12:53:08
- Zanu-PF Masvingo wars intensify | 2013 May 15 09:11:13
- Infiltration of MDC-T by ZANU-PF is a myth | 2013 May 13 22:27:05
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84175 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45952 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44511 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30263 views
Mutinhiri made the allegations in an interview published by the State media on Sunday.
The former minister was quoted as saying Dabengwa was not prepared to work with someone who did not have liberation war credentials, a stance interpreted as a snub on Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai.
But the former Zipra intelligence supremo told NewsDay in an exclusive interview that it was Mutinhiri who had actually asked him to rejoin Zanu-PF.
"The fact of the matter is I had gone to meet a friend, an ex-Zanla combatant, over something else and while we were there, we then entered into a political discussion," Dabengwa said.
"I had gone there to meet him over something different. But afterwards we engaged in a discussion and I asked them why they were just sitting and doing nothing, was it because they did not realise that their party was falling apart?
"It was him (Mutinhiri) who said they needed people like me to come back.
"I did not confide in him. We were discussing. I did not confide anything in him and then I said to him after what happened there is no way I could come back to Zanu-PF.
"If we would ever have any working relationship with Zanu-PF, it would be on a completely different angle, and not through that Unity Accord.
"That Unity Accord as far as we are concerned is not existent anymore.
"I did not even say we need to amend, but I said it's non-existent."
In 2009, Dabengwa led Zapu members who walked out of the 1987 Unity Accord with Zanu-PF, citing unfulfilled promises.
The agreement ended the Gukurahundi killings in Matabeleland and Midlands, which started soon after independence.
Dabengwa said he told Mutinhiri that they had tried to make the agreement work but original Zanu-PF leaders refused to co-operate.
"I told them that the people in Zanu-PF had made a decision that no one in Zapu can ever lead the party let alone the country, and for that reason we can never go back," he said.
"But politics being what it is, if it turns out that we find ourselves after the elections having to work with Zanu-PF, we would certainly work on a completely different arrangement, that is what I said.
"I did not talk about wanting to work with them. The use of the word â€˜confiding' is completely misplaced."
Dabengwa also dismissed claims that he had said he would never work with Tsvangirai.
In the interview, Mutinhiri alleged that he was not happy with the way he was treated by Zapu soon after independence, saying he was left out in the cold only to be rescued by President Robert Mugabe.
He also spoke about his ambitions to become Vice-President taking advantage of the departure of senior leaders such as Dabengwa from the party.
Augustine Hwata | 2013 May 20 | 98 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 201 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 242 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 389 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 209 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 224 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 166 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 20 | 189 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 312 Views
Agencies | 2013 May 20 | 219 Views
Sunday World | 2013 May 20 | 355 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 657 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 501 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 683 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 640 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1095 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1087 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 772 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 2178 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1418 Views
Gaye Davis, City Press | 2013 May 19 | 2164 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1472 Views
Stephen Grootes | 2013 May 19 | 1228 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 3193 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 138 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1584 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1867 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2277 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2029 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3701 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1973 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2771 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2281 Views