Man (21) jailed for eight years for culpable homicide
2012 June 09 07:09:48 | 1277 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2710 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2716 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6602 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7385 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5953 views
- Man (28) jailed for attempting to use counterfeit money | 2013 May 07 02:01:34
- SA soccer star granted leave to appeal conviction for killing a Zim woman | 2013 May 03 13:47:26
- SA soccer player fined for killing a Zimbabwean woman | 2013 April 22 13:11:02
- Man jailed for fondling 15-year-old sister | 2013 April 19 05:26:17
- Zimbabwean man jailed in UK for knife attack on women | 2013 April 13 08:00:24
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84177 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45953 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44513 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30263 views
Phuthumani Olvars Nkomo (21) pleaded not guilty to the murder of Polite Ngwenya (40) but tendered a limited plea of guilty to culpable homicide.
Senior Bulawayo High Court judge Justice Nicholas Ndou sitting with Mrs Agnes Dhlula and Mr Phanuel Damba as assessors, convicted him of culpable homicide.
Four years of his sentence were suspended for four years on condition that he is not within that period convicted of a similar offence.
In arriving at the sentence, the court said it had taken into account that Nkomo is a youthful first offender and but the court however noted that human life was lost over a very trivial issue.
Justice Ndou said it is unfortunate that leisure centres where people go to in order to while up time have now turned out to be places where some people meet their death.
He said offences of this nature were unfortunately committed by young people adding that Nkomo started his criminal life on the deeper end of the pool.
Agreed facts are that on 28 August last year, Nkomo and Ngwenya were among villagers who were at Sindisa Business Centre drinking.
The pair had a misunderstanding over a missing cap while at Mahalisi Bottle Store.
Ngwenya left the bottle store for another one and Nkomo followed him, picked up a piece of concrete brick and struck Ngwenya on the right side of the head and he fell down and lost consciousness. Nkomo then ran out of the bottle store.
Other patrons apprehended him and took him to the police.
Ngwenya was ferried to Plumtree District Hospital by the bottle store owner and was later referred to Mpilo Central Hospital but he died on the way.
According to the post-mortem report, the cause of Ngwenya's death was brain haemorrhage as a result of a skull fracture caused by an assault with a heavy blunt object.
Mr Simbarashe Timothy Makoni, of the Attorney General's Office prosecuted and Mr Robinson Mahachi, of T Hara and Partners defended Nkomo pro deo.
Augustine Hwata | 2013 May 20 | 135 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 253 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 296 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 471 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 242 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 252 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 199 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 20 | 230 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 20 | 363 Views
Agencies | 2013 May 20 | 249 Views
Sunday World | 2013 May 20 | 411 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 689 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 512 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 699 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 652 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 20 | 1123 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1093 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 778 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 2193 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1429 Views
Gaye Davis, City Press | 2013 May 19 | 2178 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1485 Views
Stephen Grootes | 2013 May 19 | 1236 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 3207 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 174 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1587 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1867 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2278 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2030 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3701 Views