Tsvangirai seeks help in mining from the Aussies
2012 July 24 08:05:10 | 1705 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3047 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2846 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6746 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7533 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6104 views
- Kasukuwere hits back at Tsvangirai | 2013 May 23 00:32:08
- MDC-T has zero tolerance to corruption say Tsvangirai | 2013 May 22 17:41:13
- Tsvangirai face-to-face with Zimbabwe generals | 2013 May 22 08:23:56
- 'Zimbabwe mining rights belongs to Mugabe,' says Mutambara | 2013 May 20 13:04:58
- 'I hate people who say let's have a coalition with Morgan Tsvangirai' says Ncube | 2013 May 20 02:33:54
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 85529 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46694 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 45068 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30708 views
Mr Tsvangirai told The Australian that bilateral economic co-operation with Australia was very important to his country as stability returned and it prepared for growth.
The Zimbabwean democracy campaigner and opposition leader became Prime Minister in 2009 in a power-sharing agreement that followed years of civil rights abuses and brutal physical attacks that left Mr Tsvangirai badly injured.
He said he wanted to invite and convince Australian business that they needed to look at Zimbabwe again as a destination, "that the time to re-engage in Zimbabwe is now".
Australia's strong mining experience was especially important to Zimbabwe, he said. "A lot of mining expertise resides in Australia and we can benefit a lot from that co-operation with the Australian mining industry."
Mr Tsvangirai said there was no longer a security issue in his country: "It is purely a business consideration. The country is stable. It has all the minerals except oil. One can exploit gold, platinum, chrome, whatever.
"The country is going through a stabilisation program and I think we need to go to growth . . . and you can't have growth without investment."
He has also urged the Gillard government to suspend economic sanctions on his country until after the elections due there next year. He said sanctions could be imposed again if President Robert Mugabe and the "securocrats" who backed him prevented free and fair elections.
Mr Tsvangirai said while there was still much to be done in Zimbabwe, much had changed.
"What you need to do is make an assessment," he said. "Is there sufficient reform to warrant a reward and the encouragement of that reform? I think there is justification for the international community to remove sanctions because I think they've outlived their usefulness."
Hyper-inflation had been tamed, political reforms had been instituted, the new constitution was ready, electoral and human rights reforms had been accepted. And his once deeply antagonistic relationship with Mugabe had evolved into a working relationship. "We've moved on," he said.
Trade Minister Craig Emerson told ABC television yesterday the government was considering lifting sanctions.
"If (Mr Tsvangirai) indicates to us that there is a case for easing some sanctions, that is to reward the reformers and show the hardliners that reform does actually pay dividends, then we will be open to those sorts of arguments," he said.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 219 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 263 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 23 | 338 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 22 | 421 Views
AFP | 2013 May 22 | 412 Views
Delta Milayo Ndou | 2013 May 22 | 495 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 22 | 922 Views
Masowe eChishanu | 2013 May 22 | 990 Views
amnesty.org | 2013 May 22 | 799 Views
New Ziana | 2013 May 22 | 560 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 819 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 22 | 942 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1089 Views
Den Moyo | 2013 May 22 | 1736 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2225 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1020 Views
Own correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 1411 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2877 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 2275 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4021 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2386 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2444 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 4325 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1667 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1565 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4294 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 5265 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2233 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2209 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2120 Views