Western bloc's KPCS proposal set to face opposition
2012 June 04 15:43:48 | 1230 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2661 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2682 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6572 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7354 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5930 views
- Biti demands transparency in the sale of Zimbabwe's diamonds | 2013 April 16 06:12:07
- Zimbabwe's 'blood diamonds' flood Dubai | 2013 April 07 12:37:50
- Britain eying Zimbabwe diamonds | 2013 April 07 08:08:16
- War vets demand 20% stake in Marange diamonds | 2013 March 18 08:19:58
- Foreign stampede for Zimbabwe diamonds | 2013 March 17 10:06:50
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84005 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 45806 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44424 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30198 views
Representatives from diamond producing countries and members of the civic society are in Washington for the week-long KP Intercessional meeting.
The diamond watchdog body, which is currently chaired by US's Gillian Milovanovic, will deliberate on, among other issues, the US's proposal for the redefinition of the term â€˜bloody diamonds', the setting up of a full-time secretariat as well as the reformation of the KP Charter.
In a few hours' time, Assistant Secretary of State for Economic & Business Affairs JosÃ© Fernandez will give welcoming remarks before Kimberley Process (KP) Vice Chair, Susan Shabangu, Minister of Mineral Resources of the Republic of South Africa and Kimberley Process (KP) Chair, Ambassador Gillian Milovanovic make their presentations.
The KP chair's speech is expected to set the tone of the meeting and it appears the Ambassador Milovanovic faces a tough balancing act. On one hand, she is expected to restore the credibility of the KP which is currently at its lowest level. On the other hand, she has to deal with the Zimbabwean case in a manner which will not raise conflict of interests.
Later on during the day, delegates are expected to break into Working Group Sessions. For Zimbabwe, the most critical Working Group session will be the one on Monitoring where KP Monitor to Zimbabwe Mark Van Bolstel is expected to give a report on diamond mining in Marange.
In an interview soon after arriving in Washington, head of Zimbabwe delegation, Mines and Mining Development Minister Obert Mpofu expressed confidence of fruitful deliberations but however warned that attempts to include issues of the reformation of the KP Charter and redefinition of conflict diamonds on the agenda would be opposed.
Dr. Mpofu also stressed the importance of African Diamond Producers Association (ADPA) having a greater influence in the administration of the KP.
Observers believe the proposal by the US and the civic society to redefine the term â€˜bloody diamonds' by including issues of good governance is meant to block the trade in Marange diamonds.
Zimbabwe's delegation to the meeting includes Attorney-General Johannes Tomana, Permanent Secretary from the Ministry of Mines and Mining Development Prince Mupazviriho, Permanent Secretary from the Ministry of Defence Martin Rushwaya, senior government officials and representatives of the Zimbabwe diamond industry.
STaff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 562 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 281 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 559 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 243 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 320 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 301 Views
MDC Spokesman | 2013 May 19 | 241 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 244 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 291 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 145 Views
Bekezela Maduma Fuzwayo | 2013 May 19 | 875 Views
Eyewitness News | 2013 May 19 | 1656 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 19 | 1129 Views
Sapa-AFP | 2013 May 19 | 665 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 671 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 557 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 19 | 589 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 911 Views
Harmony Agere | 2013 May 19 | 699 Views
Alex Bell | 2013 May 19 | 504 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 714 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 19 | 666 Views
David Magagula | 2013 May 19 | 869 Views
Happymore Sibanda | 2013 May 19 | 728 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 1257 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1740 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2113 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1929 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3561 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1938 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2709 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2262 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 1371 Views