Court orders YouTube blocked in Egypt
2013 February 09 14:47:32 | 2590 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2907 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2802 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6697 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7481 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6062 views
- Zimbabwe Davis Cup team falls in Cairo | 2013 May 19 12:57:32
- US condemns conservative Egyptians who blame women for being raped | 2013 March 30 16:51:06
- Egypt sink battling Zimbabwe Warriors | 2013 March 27 10:02:35
- Kidnapped tourists set free in Egypt | 2013 March 26 12:08:31
- Warriors coach has a game plans against Egypt | 2013 February 28 09:04:35
- Prostitute dies during love making, 'resurrects' in coffin | 2013 March 23 10:13:12 | 84999 views
- Woman sends photo of naked President Mugabe via Whatsapp | 2013 January 10 15:04:10 | 46454 views
- Zim woman who had sex with boyfriend as son watched named | 2013 January 31 09:05:43 | 44875 views
- Man marries mother-in-law after his wife died | 2013 January 16 11:05:42 | 30533 views
Judge Hassouna Tawfiq ordered YouTube blocked for carrying a 14-minute trailer for the movie "Innocence of Muslims," which portrays Islam's central figure Prophet Muhammad as a religious fraud, womaniser and pedophile. The film, which was produced by an Egyptian-born Christian who's now a US citizen, sparked deadly protests that killed more than 50 people in more than 20 countries last year.
In the past, a similar order to ban pornographic websites deemed offensive in Egypt has not been enforced because of high costs associated with technical applications, although blocking YouTube may be easier to enforce.
YouTube's parent company, Google, declined to remove the video from the website last year, but restricted access to it in certain countries, including Egypt, Libya and Indonesia, because it says the video broke laws in those countries. At the height of the protests, YouTube was ordered blocked in several countries, including Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah issued an order blocking all websites with access to the anti-Islam film in the conservative kingdom.
Lawyer Mohammed Hamid Salim, who filed the lawsuit in Cairo, alleged the film constitutes a threat to Egypt's security. Protesters in Cairo scaled the US Embassy's walls and brought down the US flag in a demonstration against the film last September. Street clashes ensued for days around the embassy.
Similarly last year, an Egyptian court convicted in absentia seven Egyptian Coptic Christians and a Florida-based American pastor, sentencing them to death on charges linked to the anti-Islam film that had sparked riots in parts of the Muslim world.
The case was seen as largely symbolic because the defendants, who mostly live in the United States, were outside Egypt and unlikely to ever face the sentence. In a related case, a Cairo court also convicted a Coptic Christian blogger who shared the film on social networking sites. The blogger was sentenced to three years in prison for blasphemy and contempt of religion, but released on bail shortly thereafter.
During the 18-day uprising that toppled longtime Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in 2011, the government moved to block the entire Internet for several days in an attempt to disrupt communications among activists. The measure failed to curb huge street protests against the regime.
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 437 Views
Mongezi Mpofu | 2013 May 21 | 843 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 652 Views
Mafu Sithabile | 2013 May 21 | 929 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 499 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 445 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1429 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3852 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3819 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 1460 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2784 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 2049 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1699 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2231 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 3434 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2530 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 5344 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1704 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2387 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1940 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2465 Views
Mutumwa Mawere | 2013 May 21 | 2641 Views
Abel Zhakata in MUTARE | 2013 May 21 | 1752 Views
Daily News | 2013 May 21 | 2911 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 855 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3352 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 4252 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1923 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2021 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2045 Views