Zim musicians and composers takes ZBC to court
2012 June 11 18:52:19 | 1931 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2603 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2667 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6556 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7312 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 5915 views
- Man (27) accused of killing 10-year-old Rugare girl appears in court | 2013 May 18 13:02:00
- Tsvangirai's court bid hits brick wall | 2013 May 18 06:55:58
- Mugabe, Tsvangirai off the hook for now | 2013 May 08 07:37:44
- Businessman in court for threatening to kill ex-lover | 2013 May 04 09:09:33
- Man poops in bedroom grave, court told | 2013 April 26 06:53:36
- DJ Black Coffee asks YFM to stop playing his music | 2013 April 20 21:15:43 | 28271 views
- 'Prophet Makandiwa's prophecy is a lie,' say Zhakata | 2013 January 22 10:38:00 | 14923 views
- Rihanna dresses in a see-through outfit showing her boobs - Photos | 2013 January 25 20:01:49 | 13896 views
- David Masondo and Deborah Fraser considering tying the knot | 2013 January 28 21:56:37 | 11375 views
- Oskido's Tsa Mandebele SA's hottest 2012 song | 2013 January 01 00:35:21 | 9984 views
Musicians allege that they have not been paid their royalties since 2009. After failing to receive their royalties on June 1, the usual date for payments, angry artists besieged the Zimbabwe Music Rights Association (Zimura) offices in Harare, accusing the association of not being tough on the public broadcaster.
Zimura has since launched an urgent court application on the issue.
"It is very true that we will not be able to pay musicians because ZBC has not paid the royalties, honestly we are under pressure and composers need to be paid. We are waiting for the court date," said Albert Nyathi, Zimura board chairman.
Under the contract with Zimura as the manager of artists' rights and collecting agency, the broadcaster is supposed to pay royalties for music played on air.
Zimura lawyer, Witness Zhangazha, said: "A contract exists between Zimura and ZBC that states that 10 percent of net advertising revenue generated by ZBC should be paid as royalties to musicians. The understanding is that advertisers target a pool of listeners and viewers that tune in to ZBC to listen to musicians' products."
The non-profit organization, made up mostly of 2200 musicians, is incensed because ZBC is not treating the issue with urgency. Zimura also says the 2011 amount is still unknown because ZBC stopped supplying schedules of advertising revenue a long time ago.
ZBC lawyer Absalom Muchandiona says the broadcaster is aware of the case but will not comment as the issue is now before the courts.
Demonstrating at the Zimura offices, irate musicians said the organistation is being lenient with ZBC. "You are paid to do the collection on our behalf and we want our monies. We don't care about ZBC. We want our money and we are tired of living in shacks" protested Zindi, band member of the Transit Crew.
"DJs only speak three minutes in an hour, news is only five minutes and the rest of the hour is our music being played. We don't understand why they say there is no money when DJs are driving cars but musicians are being condemned to poverty," added Zindi.
Also blaming Zimura for the mess was traditional singer Kiren Zulu who queried why the Zimura board is failing to pressure the broadcaster.
The artists also accuse ZBC of robbing them their full payments by submitting inaccurate music log sheets to Zimura. Polisile Ncube, Zimura director, says the organization is in the process of installing a computerized system that atomically logs music once played on radio or TV.
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 18 | 223 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 464 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 425 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 18 | 538 Views
online | 2013 May 18 | 1738 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 595 Views
Gideon Gono | 2013 May 18 | 834 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1691 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 615 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1666 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1520 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2160 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1005 Views
Supersport | 2013 May 18 | 1525 Views
AFP | 2013 May 18 | 2117 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1109 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1196 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 6160 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2936 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 18 | 4504 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1320 Views
Patrice Lumumba | 2013 May 18 | 2540 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 2546 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 18 | 1774 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 595 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 1636 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 1931 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 1821 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 3426 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 15 | 1898 Views
Arts Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 2669 Views
Carter Chapwanya | 2013 May 14 | 2242 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 14 | 1363 Views