DMX's 'Undisputed' comeback album
2012 June 02 00:25:03 | 3956 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 3004 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2831 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6728 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7510 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6091 views
- DJ Black Coffee asks YFM to stop playing his music | 2013 April 20 21:15:43 | 28437 views
- 'Prophet Makandiwa's prophecy is a lie,' say Zhakata | 2013 January 22 10:38:00 | 15033 views
- Rihanna dresses in a see-through outfit showing her boobs - Photos | 2013 January 25 20:01:49 | 14068 views
- David Masondo and Deborah Fraser considering tying the knot | 2013 January 28 21:56:37 | 11490 views
- Oskido's Tsa Mandebele SA's hottest 2012 song | 2013 January 01 00:35:21 | 10095 views
DMX is set to go on tour in the States to promote his new album.
However, the question remained: is DMX's new music still any good?
The Weigh In, DMX's recently-released mixtape, looks to clear up this question. We're dealing with a DMX who has indeed lost a step on the mic -- while prime X was never the nicest with his lyrics, he trended towards frenetic instrumentals that required less technique, and more plain tenacity to keep up with them.
On The Weigh In, he mostly sticks to slower beats, growling over mid-tempo melodicisms. This isn't only weird, it feels below X -- he's out of place, warbling hooks on "That's My Baby," which features a Tyrese guest spot (why doesn't that dude sing more?). These aren't bad songs per se, but when juxtaposed with the truly iconic, era-defining music that DMX was responsible for, these songs do not hold up.
"There's a new sheriff in town, one that's been re-elected," DMX raps on "Where My Dogs At," a Western-inflected tune that recalls the soundtrack work of Ennio Morricone. The beat stomps, and X rises to the occasion with his vintage intensity. "I'll make you smile ear-to-ear like the Joker," he continues, forcing the line into rap through sheer force of personality. It's terrifying.
It's one of two songs that can run with the big dogs in DMX's classic-filled catalog, including "Ruff Ryders' Anthem," "Party Up," "Where Da Hood At?" and "X Gon' Give It To Ya," perhaps his most enduring hit.
"Wright Or Wrong," the mixtape's closing track, recalls the insular, hookily paranoid world of his earlier work, a chorus of DMX's chanting him on as he tries to talk himself back up to the heights he once ascended to. He opens the song with the couplet, "I've been doing this for a minute/So with or without you, I'mma get it," expressing the same rugged self-reliance that made him a superstar.
The Weigh In shouldn't be taken as a full entry into DMX's catalog; instead, consider it a document of a once-vital artist rediscovering his voice, finding what it means to be himself again. Sure, The Weigh In isn't a good mixtape by any stretch of the imagination, but it contains one great song. For DMX, at this point, that's good enough.
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 645 Views
Joshua Mhambi | 2013 May 22 | 600 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1848 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1224 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1282 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2563 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 804 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1720 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 2031 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1364 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 3249 Views
Business reporter | 2013 May 22 | 859 Views
Ben Chiganze | 2013 May 22 | 1394 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1330 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 885 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1657 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 891 Views
Prosper Ndlovu | 2013 May 22 | 1006 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1301 Views
Court Reporter | 2013 May 22 | 1773 Views
Charles Laiton | 2013 May 22 | 1560 Views
Jairos Saunyama | 2013 May 22 | 1009 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 22 | 2419 Views
blackvoicenews.com | 2013 May 22 | 1019 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 1281 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3920 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 4811 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 2099 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2140 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2079 Views