Pension funds investments key to Zimbabwe's economic growth
2013 February 15 13:18:54 | 3431 Views
- Ingabe ikuphatheleni i-MDC, njalo kusizani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 13 17:03:55 | 2947 views
- Ikuphatheleni iMDC, kusiza ngani ukuyivotela? | 2013 May 08 19:28:47 | 2816 views
- MDC-T on course | 2013 March 27 14:05:12 | 6711 views
- People will vote for a party with sustainable economic programmes | 2013 March 04 02:36:52 | 7495 views
- Introducing: Election (2013) campaign articles | 2013 March 02 11:08:41 | 6077 views
- Pension fund up by 1% | 2013 May 14 20:57:48
- Pension pay date shifted due to Easter holiday | 2013 March 27 09:58:44
- Kasukuwere denies Zimbabwe indigenisation policy changes | 2013 April 24 16:02:19 | 9266 views
- Banks gang up against EcoCash | 2013 February 04 09:50:06 | 9131 views
- DHL workers panic | 2013 February 08 18:14:00 | 7147 views
- Mangoma steps down as M&R CEO to join Zimplats | 2013 January 24 16:04:34 | 6884 views
- Gono warns about SA imports | 2013 February 06 21:32:00 | 6732 views
Following last year's successful event that took place at the Troutbeck Resorts in Nyanga, this second Annual Zimbabwe Pension Funds Investment Forum is set to bring together leaders from various sectors to discuss alternative Investment strategies, legal, regulatory and policy framework, environmental, social and governance (ESG) consideration, fiduciary and other contemporary issues impacting the Zimbabwe Pension Fund industry. This years' major focus will be on Pension Funds investing on local infrastructure projects, agri-business, and private equity and so on.
Across the globe, Pension funds are increasingly looking at infrastructure investment with some investors actively pursuing opportunities in the sector. Pension Funds should promote and protect locally based industry and renovate the country's economic infrastructure. It is a known fact that Pension funds play an important role in the national economy, smartly invested, they provide a mechanism for unlocking savings, stimulating economic growth and ensuring that pensioners are provided for in retirement.
Ntombi Njikigwa, Managing Director at SHAEM Investments said "This is a very important Forum for Zimbabwe, our research has shown that a few Trustees here in Zimbabwe lack the competence and necessary skills to make investment and management decisions consistent with the best interest of beneficiaries. This forum seeks to empower trustees through advanced training requirements, and reinforcing good governance principles and best Fund Investment strategies. The role of trustees is an important aspect of pension fund governance, it will be great to see all Pension Fund Trustee attend this Forum."
Amongst other key objectives of this Forum, the main one is for Principal Officer and Fund Trustees to understand more about investment, both in general investment terms and also investment strategies.
Other objectives include:
- Addressing the implications of Responsible Investing as well as the challenges of implementation.
- Accurately addressing issues on who makes the decisions? Board of Trustees or Service Providers.
- Outline of the role of the Pensions Regulators including an explanation of the Trustee Knowledge and Understanding requirements and the other codes of practice.
- Give a simplified interpretation of Investments, Governance and Fiduciary Advisory needs of Retirement Fund Trustees
- Address in simple terms the role and responsibilities of a Fund Trustee (Guidance and Best Practice)
- Give a clear definition of the role and responsibilities of Asset Consultants and Fund Managers.
- Alternative Investment Strategies for Retirement Funds in Zimbabwe
"Trustees must be made aware of the pensions legislation as it encourages them to carry out their duties with due care. Expert advice on its own is not detrimental to members' interests, but it becomes dangerous if trustees entirely rely on experts especially on basic issues rather than specialised knowledge. The Zimbabwe Pension Fund Investment Forum will focus on soft and core issues trustees need to know" commented Stanley Austin, Managing Partner, Africonomie Group UK.
The 2 Day forum will be chaired by Mrs. Thandiwe Mlobani, Municipal Finance Expert. Other confirmed organisations for this year include the Ministry of Finance Zimbabwe, Insurance and Pensions Commission, Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe, AfriAsia Kingdom Zimbabwe, ZB Financial Holdings, Afre Corporation, Institute of Retirement Funds Southern Africa, AfricaSIF, Independent Actuarial Consultants SA, Africonomie Group, The Financial Gazette, The Rainbow Towers and Airlink SA
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 864 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 514 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 874 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1001 Views
Mongezi Mpofu | 2013 May 21 | 1452 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 959 Views
Mafu Sithabile | 2013 May 21 | 1343 Views
Ndou Paul | 2013 May 21 | 749 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 687 Views
Sports reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1711 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4361 Views
Staff Reporter | 2013 May 21 | 4458 Views
Francis Mufambi | 2013 May 21 | 1590 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3145 Views
Theafricareport | 2013 May 21 | 2285 Views
The Associated Press | 2013 May 21 | 1911 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2420 Views
Own Correspondent | 2013 May 21 | 3735 Views
realbuzz.com | 2013 May 21 | 2643 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 5619 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 1813 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2523 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2057 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 2609 Views
Blessing Ivan Vava | 2013 May 21 | 971 Views
Staff reporter | 2013 May 21 | 3510 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 20 | 4423 Views
TMZ | 2013 May 20 | 1986 Views
Emmanuel Ndlovu | 2013 May 18 | 2071 Views
Arts reporter | 2013 May 17 | 2057 Views
Entertainment Correspondent | 2013 May 17 | 2762 Views
Moyo Roy | 2013 May 16 | 2263 Views
Vasco Shaya | 2013 May 16 | 4175 Views